Maryville College Historical Buildings
Maryville College Historical Buildings
Maryville College, Maryville Tennessee, Present and Past Historical Buildings
This collection is a digital library of Maryville College Buildings, both historic and present. The group has collected photos from the Maryville College archives digital content and added current photos of buildings. The collection is based on a spreadsheet of buildings from the Maryville College archives. Volunteer Robert Kennedy and Registrar Emeritus Martha Hess conducted the historical research present in the digital library. The collection will continue to be updated as historical information becomes available.
UTK Spring 2016 Digital Libraries Class group: Bonnie Finn, Alexandria Quesenberry, Rachel Melton
tif, pdf, text, jpg,
Maryville College Founding Story, Maryville College archives
Maryville College archives, Maryville College Communications Office, Robert N. Kennedy, Martha Hess, Bonnie Finn
Perhaps the most iconic building at Maryville College, Anderson Hall was constructed in 1870. It has been renovated numerous times: 1963-1965, 2008, and 2013-2015. From a bird's eye view, it is shaped like a cross. Today, Anderson serves as an…
The Alumni Gym was originally constructed in 1923 and was renovated in 2007. Today, it is used for events.
Crawford House, also known as the Gideon Crawford House, serves as the home for Mountain Challenge. It was built in 1876, but didn't become owned by Maryville College until 1984. Crawford was renovated first in 1987 and then in 2005.
The Maryville College Woods is made up of 140 protected acres. The creation of the Woods began in 1881 when the acreage was purchased by Thomas Jefferson Lamar and sold to the College for $1. It is used for recreation, preservation, and education and…
The McArthur Pavilion was built in 2004 after a gift donation in honor of the McArthur family. The McArthur family has a long history of attending, working for, and supporting the College. Today, it is used a gathering place for meetings, community…
Pearsons Hall has served various purposes for the College due to its long history. Originally constructed in 1910, Pearsons was remodeled and rebuilt over the years due to fire and damage. In 1972, the front of Pearsons was remodeled to match its…
The Physical Plant buildings at the College have a long history. Today, the plant is made up of three buildings that were built in 1999, 1999, and 2007.
The Proffitt Dining Hall was added onto Pearsons Dining Hall in 1935. It is used for events and banquets today.
The Ruby Tuesday Lodge was originally built as part of the College in 1932 and served as the President's House. It was also known as Morningside Residence. The building was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. In 1998, the…
The Sutton Science Center was originally built in 1968. Today, it houses the classrooms, labs, and offices for the science department.
Humphreys Court was created in 1993 in the center of the College's main historical buildings. It features a fountain and walking paths.
Honaker Field, home of the Fighting Scots, was created in 1952 and renovated in 1991. It is used by the Athletics department and for home football games.
Baldwin Hall was built in 1871. The building was renovated twice, adding two annexes, one in 1898 and one in 1904, before being torn down in 1968. During its time, Baldwin Hall served as a residence hall for students.
Bartlett Hall was built by student Kin Takahashi in 1901 as a place for student development. It has been renovated four times in 1911, 1982, 2000, and 2008, It has served as a physical plant and a YMCA for the city of Maryville. Today, it is still…
Part of Beeson Village, Beeson Hall was built in 1997. Today, it offers apartment-style living for junior and senior students at the College.
Part of Beeson Village, Memorial Hall was built in 1997. Today, it offers apartment-style living for junior and senior students at the College.
Part of Beeson Village, Chilhowee Hall was built in 1997. Today, it offers apartment-style living for junior and senior students at the College.
Carnegie Hall was built originally in 1910. After partially burning down in 1916, Carnegie Hall was reconfigured and rebuilt. It has been renovated twice since then, in both 1958 and 1993.
The Center for Campus Ministry was originally built in 1888. It served as the bookstore, print shop, post office, and a prep school before being renovated in 1982 as the Lamar Memorial Library. After the library moved to Thaw Hall, the building was…
The Clayton Center for the Arts, Building B, was built in 2010. It houses the Harold and Jean Lambert Recital Hall, Blackberry Farm Gallery, and William "Ed" Harmon Art Gallery. There are also offices, classrooms, and studios for the Fine Arts…
The Clayton Center for the Arts, Building A, was built in 2010. It houses the William Baxter Lee III Grand Foyer, Ronald and Lynda Nutt Theater, Haslam Family Flexible Theater, Fulmer Family Special Events Room, and the Denso Art Gallery. It also…
Cooper Athletic Center was built in 1970 and renovated in 2008. It houses the Athletics department, basketball court, swimming pool, and more.
Copeland Hall was originally built in 1966 and went through renovations in 2008. Today, it serves as the co-ed freshmen residence hall.
The Court Street Apartments were first constructed in 1967, but didn't become a part of Maryville College until 1998. They were renovated in 2007. These apartments are located just across the street from the college campus to give students a truly…
Davis Hall was first constructed in 1966 before undergoing renovations in 2008. Today, it serves as the all-girls freshmen residence hall.
Fayerweather Hall was originally built in 1898 and went through two renovations in 1963 and 1970 before being burned down. It was removed in 1999 to make room for the new Fayerweather Hall.
Gamble Hall how it appears today. The hall was built in 1966 and renovated in 2007. It serves as the all-boys freshmen residence hall.
Gibson Hall was constructed in 2008 to serve as the "wellness" dorm for sophomore, junior, and senior students. It still serves a residence hall today with a ban on alcohol and tobacco usage.
The House in the Woods was built in 1917 and was renovated in 2002. The House is used for various events and is located within the College Woods.
The International House serves as the Center for International Education. It was formerly known as the Ralph Max Lamar Memorial Hospital, the Infirmary, and the Center for English Language/Learning. The building was originally constructed in 1910 and…
This is the new Lloyd Hall that was built in 2003. Previously, Lloyd Hall was also known as the Margaret Bell Residence Hall in 1959. Lloyd Hall still serves as a residence hall today.
Memorial Hall, or McClain Memorial Hall was built in 1871 as a boys' dorm for the College. It was renovated in 1959 before being torn down in 1975. When the new Beeson Village was created, which is made up of three different buildings, the new…
Scotland Yard is the baseball field at Maryville College. The baseball field, press box and bleachers were built in 1994.
Thaw Hall is now the home of the Lamar Memorial Library and the Social Sciences Division. It was built in 1922 and was been renovated in 1986, 2002, and 2007.
Voorhees Chapel was built in 1906 and went through many repairs over the years. After being severely damaged by a fire, Vorhees Chapel was not rebuilt and was instead replaced with Wilson Chapel.
Willard House was home to the first several presidents of Maryville College. It now holds offices for Alumni Affairs and Advancement. It also functions as a space for special events. It was originally built in 1890 and was renovated between…
The Wilson Chapel was created in 1954 and named for the College's 5th president, Samuel Tyndale Wilson. It was torn down in 2007 to be replaced by the Clayton Center for the Arts.
The Wright House was first constructed in 1941 and was acquired by the College in 2005. After renovations in 2006, the Wright House reopened and is used for events.